Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I'm going to start writing about books: 1984

Inspired by Maggie of Mighty Girl and by my desire to better remember the books I read, I'm going to start writing quick round-ups when I finish a new one.  No in-depth literary analysis; just some memorable lines and new or underused vocabulary.  I hope you enjoy and maybe see a book you want to pick up.
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell, cover design by gray318
(sadly, the copy I have doesn't feature this badass cover art)
I have a pretty random selection of books at my disposal these days: things I brought down with me, things other people leave behind.  I've been reading a lot of books that feel like something everybody read way back when, but it's good to catch up.  I just finished Nineteen Eighty-Four.  In taking notes to write this up, I felt like I was doing homework for high school Brit Lit.  Here's the greatest hits, a bunch more continuing after the jump:

"With it’s grace and carelessness it seemed to annihilate a whole culture, a whole system of thought, as though Big Brother and the Party and the Thought Police could all be swept into nothingness by a single splendid movement of the arm."


"He was a monstrous man, with a mane of greasy hair, his face pouched and seamed, with protuberant lips. At one time he must have been immensely strong; now his great body was sagging, sloping, bulging, falling away in every direction. He seemed to be breaking up before one’s eyes, like a mountain crumbling."

"It struck him that in moments of crisis one is never fighting against an external enemy but always against one’s own body. … On the battlefield, in the torture chamber, on a sinking ship, the issues that you are fighting for are always forgotten, because the body swells up until it fills the universe..."

"To hang on from day to day and from week to week, spinning out a present that had no future, seemed an unconquerable instinct, just as one’s lungs will always draw the next breath so long as there is air available."

"It spread out its wings, fitted them carefully into place again, ducked its head for a moment, as though making a sort of obeisance to the sun, and then began to pour forth a torrent song. In the afternoon hush the volume of sound was startling. … It was as though it were a kind of liquid stuff that poured all over him and got mixed up with the sunlight that filtered through the leaves."

"The end was contained in the beginning. But it was frightening; or, more exactly, it was like a foretaste of death, like being a little less alive."

"It is also that no change of doctrine or in political alignment can ever be admitted. For to change one’s mind, or even one’s policy, is a confession of weakness."

"Those whose attitude toward the war is most nearly rational are the subject peoples of the disputed territories. To these people the war is simply a continuous calamity which sweeps to and fro over their bodies like a tidal wave."

“She’s beautiful,” he murmured. “She’s a meter across the hips, easily,” said Julia. “That is her style of beauty,” said Winston.

"Never again will you be capable of love, or friendship, or joy of living, or laughter, or curiosity, or courage, or integrity. You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty, and then we shall fill you with ourselves."

"Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."

"Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless. If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face – forever."


Vocabulario:

palimpsest:  a writing surface that is erased or scraped clean and reused, often over and over

sinecure:  an office or position that requires little or no work

persiflage:  frivolous banter, inflated ranting or railing of little consequence

debauch:  used as a noun, a draining output leaving the worker spent and besmurched

fecundity:  fertility, abundancy, productivity

execrate:  to denounce, declare evil or utterly detestable

imposture:  the act of deceiving by naming something or someone inaccurately

avaricious:  hoarding and greedy, excessively acquisitive

ossified:  to become as bone: hard, unchanging, tied to convention

pedant:  one who celebrates exactitude and minutiae in the accumulation of knowledge, often at the expense of insight

baize:  a coarse woolen or cotton fabric napped to imitate felt

No comments:

Post a Comment